What is Responsible Gambling Week?
Responsible Gambling Week runs this year from 1st – 7th November and is a campaign led by the gambling industry that aims to create a conversation with customers, staff and the wider public about gambling responsibly, driving awareness of:
- how to gamble responsibly;
- the tools that are available to help people gamble safely all year round;
- sources of more advice and support.
What is happening during Responsible Gambling Week?
Venues and websites provide information on responsible gambling throughout the year, with a range of different tools and options to help manage play. During RG Week, teams will be even more visible – using RG Week material and information about how to gamble responsibly and where to find further advice and support: all supporting venues and online sites have information.
A range of promotional material with key information has been made available to all supporting organisations: these materials cover some or all of the following:
- ask questions about gambling behaviour
- highlight five key behaviours of gambling responsibly
- provide details of where and how to obtain further information and help if needed
- promote the Responsible Gambling Week website and social media channels: Facebook and Twitter @RGWeek18
Gambling venues will be promoting Responsible Gambling Week, immediately prior to and during the Week. You’ll find posters, leaflets and banners in venues and online to encourage conversations about how to gamble responsibly.
- Some venues are undertaking special events during the week.
- Online gambling websites will also be promoting the week with banner ads and pop-ups.
- Both land and online organisations will be promoting the week on social media: Facebook and Twitter
- Supporting organisations, such as Facebook, will also be supporting the week and promoting key messages and materials.
- Key support organisations like the Dunlewey Addiction Centre, National Gambling Helpline, GamCare and GambleAware will also be promoting the week and preparing for increased numbers of enquiries due to the national campaign.
- Dunlewey will be running a series of Problem Gambling Workshops throughout the week. Please click here for further details.
Staff working at gambling venues and online will continue to be points of contact for their customers who would like to know more about gambling responsibly or seek support if they are concerned about their gambling.
Leading charities providing help and support around gambling, Dunlewey Addiction Services, GamCare and YGAM, are also running workshops and training sessions throughout RG Week, with some focused on parents and those working with young people: teachers, youth workers and health professionals. These sessions will provide information which can help young people understand the risks associated with gambling, the choices they can make to gamble responsibly and what tools are available to help them manage their behaviour.